AVENTURES AU JAPON

Surrealism Abroad and the Art of Wormhole Maintenance

Sunday, August 22, 2004

AN OPEN BLOG. From the mind of me.

Well, I’ve got my computer back now, and now I can write at home to my heart’s content and just cut and paste it at the Washington hotel! What this means for you, dear reader, is more coherency! And now I have a thesaurus, so maybe I can use more than my 6 catch phrase words.

This week has been embroiled (hey, that was thesaurus free even!) in turmoil. I’m sure my heart, and my head, could rival any roller coaster at Disneyland for the amount of ups and downs I’ve had. From early throwing myself into the ocean, to my moments of utter clarity and pure calm, to bursting out crying at random points in the day, to having sporadic insights into the nature of man, it’s been a week for the books that’s for sure! And you know what, screw it! Basically my revelation of this week was that somewhere along the way ive gotten too caught up in all this micro living and hae totally lost sight of the big picture. Which is, of course, to generally work for a few years, immerse myself in a new culture, and save money so I can travel. Sure I’ve made moral sacrifices like working for a corporation which, like any successful company, is all about money money money, something that I don’t really aspire to have. I mean, sure I want nice things and I wasn to be comfortable, but I have no desire to roll in the green. As long as I have enough money so that when I’m like yo, I need to bust out of here, then I can just jet away to a new destination. However, the hyaku en (dollar store) shops are rapidly diminishing this capacity. Every time I go in to buy one thing, I come out with 5, and have forgotten my original intention.

Oh, so I haven’t written about my parents tour at all! Wow… like where do I begin? It was a whirlwind of a week, that completely flew by. I admit, I have avoided thinking about it since they came, esp given the weakness of my mental capacity this week, cuz I just can’t believe they were here! And gone! I had an incredible time with them. Actually it was a real spin out for me. it didn’t feel like we hadn’t seen each other in a year, and my brain was like, incapable of coming to term that my worlds completely collided, like when I took my parents to a local pub that we often drink at. I was just like, whoa, my parents and I are drinking. Together. At Sunny Side Up. WHAT is going on?!! It was SOOooooooooooooo good to see them, and to talk to them. We spent the first few days up in Iwaki, as they were fortunate enough to come at one of the most beautiful times in Iwaki, during the tanabata matsuri, Star Festival. They really loved Iwaki, with it’s hot (but cool compared to what was in store for them..) days and brightly decorated streets. They got to meet Taka (which my mom called tako at one point, which is hysterical because tako means ‘octopus’ in Japanese) and all my friends, foreign and Japanese alike. I think it was really important for me that they meet Taka, naturally. The event was the glue of my two worlds. At night after work we toured the streets of the festival, all decorated with banners and food stalls selling scrumptious Japanese (duh) treats like fried octopus balls, grilled noodles with pork and cabbage, skewers of chicken and scallops, and fried chicken (well, is that really ‘nese?!) many people were decked out in yukata, a light cotton summer kimono. I even saw a couple of my students. During the days I was working, my mates Ritsuko and Fujio took my parents on a tour of Iwaki n surrounding area. Ritsuko is like, the most thoughtful and generous person, ever!! Actually, she’s dropping by in a couple hours to teach me the art of flower arranging- I’m pumped for a new hobby! Ritsuko invited us up to Sendai for the day as well, where there’s a MASSIVE tanabata festie going on. Sendai is beautiful, though it was really hot. My ‘rents were not expecting japan to be so humind and hot I think. We traveled to Tokyo, Kyoto, okayama, Hiroshima, and kobe and it was just unbelievably hot down south. You really don’t want to get off your futon in your aircon room in days like that. Honestly you take like two steps outside and you’re drenched in sweat. Or at least I am. I think my mom and I saw like, one Japanese girl who was sweating. That’s it! im bringing up my children in the hottest country ever so they will get used to it! But like my dad said, its like us canucks being able to hack -40 winters and surviving!

I feel like the week flew by cuz we were like in a new city every day. I know the pace was maybe too quick for my parents, but I just wanted to cram in as much of japan as I could. They can relax in Australia!! Heehee

I totally felt like the mom on vacation, it was such an awesome experience! Although I admit, I was stressed as trying to get all the accommodations and train schedules (something my parents, by virtue of living in a smaller city, were not accustomed to. We had more than one occasion in Tokyo riding the 6pm ‘pancake express’) in order. And being the only one who can speak Japanese, I got to pretty much be the translater and food orderer when we went out. It was a really good learning experience for me. I think my Japanese got a lot better in one week, that’s fo sure! But I was totally peeing my pants laughing in Ueno station when I was carrying a bumpack, a backpack on my back, and one on my front, and my mom’s bag, just standing there trying to figure out where we have to go. Lil Danielle weighted down with everyone’s bags, making sure everyone has enough snacks and juice for the shinkansen, and that no one has to use the toilet! And of course, if one does, odds are she’s not down with the asian squatter toilets and not only do I have to find a toilet, but it’s gotta be a western one. Seriously, I think I now know the layout of the entire ueno station by now!

I have to give my mom mad props for sticking it out with the choppies! She did a great job, and didn’t even once break down and use a fork! Way to go, mom! They really liked Japanese food, we ate at some great restaurants in Kyoto and Tokyo. Highly recommend Tsunahachi tempura place behind Mistukoshi in Shinjuku, Tokyo. The tempura set was delishie!! It was so cute watching my parents try to make sense of the forty thousand small bowls you get with your meal, and figure out what to dip in where and what to mix with what. And of course they were asking me and I was just, well, ya know, opening my mouth and letting some fabricated Japanese etiquette tumble out if I didn’t know the proper answer. Details details! My theory is you can always bullshit what you don’t know and 99% of the time it’s ok in the end! BS has gotten me many places in life I tell you! I forgot all about the curious things that have become commonplace to me, and it was fun to have them pointed out to me again. like the water bottles placed in front of houses as ‘scarecrows’ for cats so they don’t piss there, or the fact that vendies have become like, my best friend, here. Or the white lace seat covers in taxis with the drivers that wear white gloves. And that fact you don’t get napkins when you’re at a restaurant.

I think Japan was a wise choice for my parents first asian experience as it is prolly the most developed and cleanest of asian countries. I shudder to think how my mom would handle Malaysia, where we can eat with our hands… and just forget about finding napkins there either! Japan is hella clean, but I think to the point of being neurotic about it.

Traveling with the parental units gave me a new perspective on traveling, and I’m all about the go go go! WE HAVE TO SEE EVERYTHING NOW! And they are more like, ok, ya we’re in japan but it’s too hot. We’re going to buy wine from 7’s and beer from a vending machine and just chill in the aircon room for a bit. Heeehee.. maybe I’ll put some brochures on the table and they can SEE SEE SEE while they sip their brew! It also made me think maybe I’m too 23. I don’t know, I mean I have teenage mates, and 30 something mates, but I think I’ve just been a lil too egoentric in my age lately. I guess I’m just seeing the world through the eyes of a young adult traveler… ok like am I even making sense here… what am I trying to say… ok focus. Ok. Hmm.. matte… ok forget that brain poo puddle.. excuse me..

What else can I say about trucking my parents all over Honshu? I give them props for all the new experiences they tried and the heat they endured! And I look forward to any more visitors that want to come my way… though I’m done being Extreme Tour Guide for a while!

So in my bipolar state of complete tunnel vision I-can’t-see-the-big-picture I’ve-sold-out-to-the-man I-feel-like-I-will-never-get-my-shit-in-order week, I’ve turned out ok today. I think I just hit a big wall of frustration this week and my kids were fokking terrors like no other and I was moved to tears more than once and I can’t STAND tha fact my new manager doesn’t give a shit about michelle and I. but I’m not even going to spread the negative vibe I’ve been harbouring. All I will say for my personal need of spewing in cyberspace is: Personally, I feel it’s important to develop relationships with the people you work with and caring about someone’s life and seeing them not as just a vessel of how your company can bring in the cash, but to actually be interested in who they are and how they are feeling is an extremely important and vital part of any successful company. Everyone works hard for people they like and respect. And if you feel the love from above, you are motivated to do good things. i think our new manager has yet to realize the importance of cultivating relationships with us, that’s all. I mean, it’s ok cuz Mich and I have a lot more autonomy at work, but at the same time, I personally feel like so divided and like, shunned. Ahh…I take the stupidest things personally, constantly forgetting everyone is dealing with their own shit inside, and sometimes it just leaks out to the outside world on the wrong person. Can I be an emotional island and not take anything personally? Will this make me ignorant, or sane? I’d just like to reassert something I learned my first day in Japan, one year ago. The secret to my happiness to not to think too much,.

Yep. One year. Monday marks my one year anniversary, unbelievable eh! Today I was reminiscing of all the experiences I’ve had, and lessons I’ve learned, and all the great times I’ve had with all my friends here. It’s a spin out to look at all my pictures. I’ve done more in one year than I ever would have back home. And that I ever have in any given year of my life. So much has happened in a year. Would I recognize myself a year ago if I met the now me on the street? What would I have thought? I know one thing I would have thought- wow, that girl has her shit together! When, in reality, I don’t, but I think it’s starting to meld all together in a strange way. Plus, I usually think the grass is greener on the other side, so I would have definitely thought better of the now myself. And I think that with age and experience, I’ve been a lot more relaxed with myself. Looking through my respectacles, I think I was terrible at disguising how horrendously restrictive I was with myself a year ago. Ugh, I was just so caught up in some huge personal demons which I think the autonomy of living here has helped me to heal in a way. Well, we all have our moments at any rate. I’m far from perfect, but I no longer see perfection as a proper goal to have. And I know that even if I was perfect, it still wouldn’t be good enough for me, I’d have to be perfecter. The perfectest person ever in the history of perfection. Period. Ok this has turned into a journal entry again, how does that always happen? And how can I be so candid with so many people? Hah, cuz we’re an ocean apart that’s why!

………….. well I’ll save you my rambling discourse on being the perfectest person and sign off for now, gotta go work off all this alcohol. Ah, my first hangover in so long! Taka told me yesterday that sometimes its good to feel pain because you can learn many things from it and if we never felt pain, we would never grow up. while this applies to the pain of my frustration, the only thing I’m learning from the pain of my hangover is that going to 7’s after drinking is ALWAYS a bad idea! I feel like a detective when I wake up. Hmmmm *perplexed look* I gotta throbbing head and a churning stomach… why? Let’s check out the scene. Ok, got some contacts still in the eyes, which means it musta been a pretty full night since I completely blew off the fact I just recovered from a brutally scratched cornea and still sleep with them in. hmm, still wearing glowsticks and armfuls of beaded bracelets and a sarong so I’s definitely at some kinda beach party.. maybe Iwaki Beach Bomb? Oh, theres’ my camera… oh my.. why are there so many naked men running around… those Japanese men just can’t handle their brew can they… strange… what’s up with all the flo-pink these guys are wearing??? there’s 43 million plastic bags from 7’s, so I’m guessing I prolly stumbled out of a car and into a 7-11 and hit the snacks.. despite my state I did well, picked out all the basics… got some sweet n savoury sugar coated sticks, some crunchy rice crackers and peanut mix… oh gad… oh no… I did the salad sushi! What’s IN that shit anyway??? Looks like that sushi didn’t even make it home cuz my chopsticks are still left unopened. FLASHBACK. Ok. Definitely danced the entire way home in my flip flops. I am a self-inflatable disco!! Whoa… think I mighta had a cocktail in a can when I got home, that’s debatable. These cans could be from earlier in the week.. this week the coping skill was every flavour of cocktails in a can.. hmm… I DEFINITELY fell asleep mid-chew since there seems to be a halo of sugar snacks around me.. and man, ikes… my Ktai is lodged between my vertebraes… lets check the outbox and see who I emailed in my stupor… always lends many clues to the evening!...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home