AVENTURES AU JAPON

Surrealism Abroad and the Art of Wormhole Maintenance

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Sleep Deprivation at its Finest

Anyone who knows me, knows I love to sleep. Or rather, I love to dream. So the recent bleak and grey landscape of my mind at night is more than a lil disconcerting. I seem to have picked up the horrible habit of just curling up in my foom at random moments during the night and falling asleep mid book-read, email-write, or thot-contemplation, with my contacts in. And now it's 7:30 am and I'm nauseous with consciousness. Geez, I wonder why I'm getting sick. Maybe this, coupled with my insaitable desire to claw out my eyes every two seconds as they feel like some evil fairy poured talcom powder in them as I sleep, has something to do with my depressed immunity. and overwork maybe? I don't mind staying after work to work unpaid, it's the Japanese style, but when it cuts into the rest of my life by an hour or more when really, this isn't the peak of busyness at work, i get a lil annoyed. and start to teeter on that edge that maybe work is trying to take over my life. I think that's been one of my gripes about Tokyo, in that I seem to be spending more and more of my free time at work. And it's just wearing me out. Gad, how many hours till vacation???

It's another grey day in Tokyo, though I have high hopes that the heat will prevail throughout the rest of the week here. I just really need it to be nice because I have too many excuses not to exercise when it's crappy out.

On the friend front, I've made a couple more friends around town, mostly university students and women office workers. I also want to join the Tokyo Knitting Friends, because I'm 24 and a nerd who wants to learn how to knit. my friend just sent me a package yesterday containing a pair of gorgeous baby blue hand-knit wrist warmers (think gloves, without the fingers). I simply must learn this talent! What is up with early 20yr olds learning to knit? It's like this knitting'mothering instinct that kicks in or something. I have many friends who've started knitting at this age- my sister knits too. It's the cutest thing ever to watch. She is such a cool mom.

I've also discovered the Polaris Project, and anti-human trafficking and modern day slavery NPO that I'm going to try to volunteer with. My life has been very much centered towards ME and MY lately, and I really think I need to let go of that attitude and start opening up more of my available resources to the greater good of the world. Too much selfishness depresses me.

Well I'm off to do whatever people do at 7:30 in the morning. Stretch, meditate, run... I took a month off meditation and I'm so glad I got back into it! This is the key to my ability to cope with life on an even keel and to go with the flow, keeping the daily stresses at bay. And like all good things that happen to me, I want to share them with the world. So set ten minutes aside from your day, sit in a comfortable position, and relax your body. and your mind. and try to clear it off all the random thots that have been unconsciously running through your mind all day. trust me, you'll be astounded at how hard it can be to quiet yr mind and bring yr consciousness back to the present. i like to imagine I'm in a warm, comfy place looking up at the deep blue sky, and every thot I have it just a cloud passing over the sky of my mind. and i just watch them all float away until I'm calm. it takes a couple times to really notice the effect meditation has on your daily life, and it's SO worth it!

adieu adieu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home