vitamin B at daybreak
today was a magnificently miserable day as far as Thor and Indra were concerned.
Rain. Of the cold and wet persuasion. The Chinese restaurant stood empty on the corner of the street. I paused there briefly, not looking unlike a drowned rat, staring deflatedly at the red brick walls plastered with lavish Chinese cuisine, a culinary treat I would never get to experience.
At least not on this lunch break.
I headed to the grocery store, and didn't give it a second thought that the things I was purchasing, and quite excited to consume in the following moments, would be gross, even repulsive, if i had thought about them years ago. Ika-yaki (fried squid) on a stick-2, glutinous mochi rice shaped into small balls and smushed flat, brushed with sweet soy sauce and grilled slightly so they become a bloated version of themselves, with a square of nori (seaweed) lay on top, shrivelled by the heat of the rice-2. and of course, white rice, which I seem lately not to be able to live without-1. and of course, some rice noodle/lettuce/shrimp/bean spring rolls.
heavenly.
almost as good as my Thai red curry with eggplant, red pepper, spanish onion, mushroom, bamboo, tofu and raisin, that I whipped up tonite. I've reverted to complete laziness in the kitchen, and basically that's all i ever make anymore.
I talked to one of my friends online the other day, his picture on his MSN Msgr was one of him cooking a turkey. i think i remember what a turkey is. it's that thing that doesn't grow in Japan, that thing i most definitely gorged on in a Singaporean deli when i had the chance in January. that thing that will no doubt comprise a large part of my Australian food consumption in the following weeks.
It's been two days that i've lifted weights (and i use that term weights very losely), and been motivated to exercise. i forgot about how powerful the endorphins flood your system after exercise. now i remember why i gave up drinking for exercising many moons ago...
My appt is still in a state of mess. you know, i'm just not a super clean person. i need to accept tha fact that if i'm going to play the part of Danielle, i'm going to have to come to terms with the fact she likes to have 'organized piles of junk' dispersed throughout her abode.
will i only truly be free when i sell all my possessions after Japan and retreat to the jungles of Borneo? hey, we all have to have a Plan B. and C. Borneo is Plan D.
Plan B consists of getting on the PeaceBoat, working on an organic farm in Japan for a couple months, and then applying for the Canadian government internship program before i turn 30 and become too old in their eyes. or following a contact that I've made through my time spent travelling around the world on PeaceBoat.
Plan C, section I consists of travelling throughout Europe, maybe being an au pair in Spain, and maybe walking the Road to Sanitago.
Plan C, section II consists of starting up a nutritional wellness center out west.
Plan D is renouncing this life and moving to Borneo to live among the obscure hill tribes.
Plan E is to move to Africa and volunteer with an NGO committed to children's rights.
and so on and so forth, ad nauseum. There's always plans brewing in this crazy head of mine. I mean, what about parenthood, and my childhood dream of adopting children from the most impoverished country on each continent? What about my chance to be a soccer mom? What about that part when i *gasp* buy a house? oh god, i hope i never get to that point where i want to make such a huge investment in one place! (famous words i know someone will be emailing me in quotation marks about ten years down the road...) i felt uneasy about the commitment of owning pots and pans in university, so much so that i had to give them away to my friend... now, suppose this house is not really a house, but a hut on a tropical island. now that's something i could invest in!
Rain. Of the cold and wet persuasion. The Chinese restaurant stood empty on the corner of the street. I paused there briefly, not looking unlike a drowned rat, staring deflatedly at the red brick walls plastered with lavish Chinese cuisine, a culinary treat I would never get to experience.
At least not on this lunch break.
I headed to the grocery store, and didn't give it a second thought that the things I was purchasing, and quite excited to consume in the following moments, would be gross, even repulsive, if i had thought about them years ago. Ika-yaki (fried squid) on a stick-2, glutinous mochi rice shaped into small balls and smushed flat, brushed with sweet soy sauce and grilled slightly so they become a bloated version of themselves, with a square of nori (seaweed) lay on top, shrivelled by the heat of the rice-2. and of course, white rice, which I seem lately not to be able to live without-1. and of course, some rice noodle/lettuce/shrimp/bean spring rolls.
heavenly.
almost as good as my Thai red curry with eggplant, red pepper, spanish onion, mushroom, bamboo, tofu and raisin, that I whipped up tonite. I've reverted to complete laziness in the kitchen, and basically that's all i ever make anymore.
I talked to one of my friends online the other day, his picture on his MSN Msgr was one of him cooking a turkey. i think i remember what a turkey is. it's that thing that doesn't grow in Japan, that thing i most definitely gorged on in a Singaporean deli when i had the chance in January. that thing that will no doubt comprise a large part of my Australian food consumption in the following weeks.
It's been two days that i've lifted weights (and i use that term weights very losely), and been motivated to exercise. i forgot about how powerful the endorphins flood your system after exercise. now i remember why i gave up drinking for exercising many moons ago...
My appt is still in a state of mess. you know, i'm just not a super clean person. i need to accept tha fact that if i'm going to play the part of Danielle, i'm going to have to come to terms with the fact she likes to have 'organized piles of junk' dispersed throughout her abode.
will i only truly be free when i sell all my possessions after Japan and retreat to the jungles of Borneo? hey, we all have to have a Plan B. and C. Borneo is Plan D.
Plan B consists of getting on the PeaceBoat, working on an organic farm in Japan for a couple months, and then applying for the Canadian government internship program before i turn 30 and become too old in their eyes. or following a contact that I've made through my time spent travelling around the world on PeaceBoat.
Plan C, section I consists of travelling throughout Europe, maybe being an au pair in Spain, and maybe walking the Road to Sanitago.
Plan C, section II consists of starting up a nutritional wellness center out west.
Plan D is renouncing this life and moving to Borneo to live among the obscure hill tribes.
Plan E is to move to Africa and volunteer with an NGO committed to children's rights.
and so on and so forth, ad nauseum. There's always plans brewing in this crazy head of mine. I mean, what about parenthood, and my childhood dream of adopting children from the most impoverished country on each continent? What about my chance to be a soccer mom? What about that part when i *gasp* buy a house? oh god, i hope i never get to that point where i want to make such a huge investment in one place! (famous words i know someone will be emailing me in quotation marks about ten years down the road...) i felt uneasy about the commitment of owning pots and pans in university, so much so that i had to give them away to my friend... now, suppose this house is not really a house, but a hut on a tropical island. now that's something i could invest in!
































0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home