AVENTURES AU JAPON

Surrealism Abroad and the Art of Wormhole Maintenance

Sunday, August 07, 2005

singgya

Hola hola! Well, i miade it safe and sound to Singapore, after the most hellish packing experience, something which i still am bitter about when i look at how stuffed my pack is and how much i prolly didn't need half of what i brought. but, if there's any consolation it lies in me being an extremely stylish backpacker.

I got in two nights ago pretty late so i just wandered about and oriented myself. i'm getting to know singapore pretty well i must admit. yesterday I figured out travel plans for Kota Kinabalu, the capital ofSabah province, which i will be staying. i'm flying out of Johor Bahru (JB) later on today, so after I hit up a hawker food stall i am catching a bus to Malaysia. heehee, that sounds kinda funny. I'll just catch a bus to another country...

yesterday I just hung out, went to my favorite Indian restaurant, Kompala Villa, for the biggest dosai (lentil pancake folded over with onion, potato and curry mix inside) and 3 divine chutneys and dipping sauces, all for 1.80 singapore, which is like, about $1 canadian. then i wandered around lil Arab, and then took myself out to the movies, something i absolutely love doing on my own. i saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Johnny Depp is wonderfully eccentric in it. afterwards I shopped around. singapore is known for its' shopping so there's always great deals going on. last june it was the Great Singapore Sale, and now it's almost singapore"s 40th birthday so there's mad deals to be had. i'm trying to restrain myself just because of space, but i have targetted things to pick up when i return here next week. Then, later at night there were fireworks and live music down at the marina, which i checked out. it was so... hmm.. well it was a very comfortable and revealing experience to be utterly content to sit and eat great spicy food and read Life of Pi in the thick of a singaporean festival. i am truly enjoying me. i'm not gna lie, i thought i was going to murder half of my soul last weekend after Alex and I parted ways, after spending a deliciously giddy weekend together in Omiya. suddenly i was faced with this barrage of mental clutter. i know we all have internal conversations and monologues, and for me it"s always dialogues, going on, but this time it was simply too much. it was too loud. have you ever felt that? like the inside of your head is too loud? i literally had to fight with myself to ignore myself. anyways, turns out my head is back to being normal and i'd like to attribute that lil Fight Clubesque episode to lack of sleep and copious amounts of alcohol. hmp.
I'm having a wonderful time here, the weather is sickly hot but i LOVE it, the food is amazing and cheap, and being a solo traveller has afforded me many conversations with the locals that probably wouldn't have happened had i been travelling with someone else. till KK, where I will be basking in the sun on the national park islands just off the coast...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home