AVENTURES AU JAPON

Surrealism Abroad and the Art of Wormhole Maintenance

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

It's 11:30pm. I am CRAVING Matsuya ginger pork with salad, rice, and miso soup for the enticing price of 480 yen. But, that would entail me walking down the street to get it. I could... but then I wouldn't sleep well. I could... but then I will wake up with a food coma hangover tomorrow. *sighs* I will resort to craving.

It's been a while, hasn't it? Travelling makes my head spin, and I can't remember to whom I've told what, in letters, emails or phone conversations. I know for the most part I haven't divulged any of the details of the past month on my blog.

To bring you up to speed, pretend like you're Nancy Drew, and I'm the client who's hiring you but first meets you for sandwiches to brief you on my current events. And pretend that you're not dating Ned Nickerson anymore, I never liked him anyway.

- My fav. yoga instructor, Megumi, left. I bought her a going away present (ok, I actually regifted White Day chocolates) and wrote her a letter in Japanese telling her she is my inspiration for wanting to become a yoga teacher. She wrote me a letter and at the bottom, in English, she wrote "I like your smil." I was heartbroken for a week and moped about in my other instructors' classes, and tonite at yoga it just still wasn't the same. However, there are several new instructors who are challenging me with new poses and techniques. The one I had tonite gave me a head massage. A potential new crush on the horizon!

- Remember that other yoga instructor, the bell-ringing, zen-fucking maniac that made me want to shove people in front of trains? Upon considering the insight that maybe she is in my life to teach me patience and tolerance, as suggested by a wise sage aunt of mine, I did go back and take another class with her. And guess what, I really enjoyed it! And guess what else? We're friends now who talk to each other after class! And guess what else? I learned to like the bell! If my life were a Paddington book, it would be called "Paddington Learns To Be Tolerant."

- being in Okayama for so many weeks was good for a number of reasons:
-- I got to work with everyone else and it was so much fun and less stressful.
-- I got to see "The Eagle." (He's the man who MCs the company wide business meetings on the first Tuesday of each month. I just love him! Every time I see him I instantly get this vision of him walking on a deserted beach with khaki shorts, a polo shirt, sandals, and thick white athletic socks pulled up to mid calf. *dreamy look*). He held the door open for me when I had to get into the building after hours. I felt we shared a moment, and that it was his lovestruck embarassment rather than utter indifference that caused him to avoid eye contact with me.
-- I got to eat at my fav sushi place in Okayama. yum!
-- I developed a crush on a guy, which is somehow weird and less exciting than crushing on girls, but fun nonetheless.
-- My friends and I (oh ya, I actually have friends... I forgot about that. Sometimes when I get all "personal growth" and tripped up in my own lil world I forget how many friends I have floating around in different parts of Japan. I guess this trip made me feel less nerdy too.) went to hanami (cherry-blossom viewing/getting tanked under the trees party) a couple of times and I got to spend time with some of the teachers in the area. Hanami is the best. It's my fav. time of year in Japan.
-- Megan, Dorota, and I (all Canadian chics) made a pact to learn how to surf this summer when I move back to the OC (Okayama=the O.C.)
-- I got to see my friend Dan before he headed back to Canada- always a bonus! Dan is mad fun.
-- Doing training was soooo much fun. What a nice change of pace to get out of the office. There were only 4 new teachers this month, which made for a cozier atmosphere. This is my second month in a row doing back-to-back trainings and I am feeling a lot more confident in presenting. Public speaking, or speaking in front of groups, has definitely given me more confidence.
-- the weather sucked and rained the entire two weeks except for two days when I was there but that's ok because it made coming back to sunny, hot Tokyo even more fun.

- I am getting more and more amped for Golden Week. I am so excited to chill with my cousin Lindsay. I don't even care what we end up doing, it'll be super fun just to be off work! A couple of my friends who I haven't seen in 2 years are coming down from Iwaki to Tokyo for the vacation so there's already some partying and karaokeing in store.

- geeez... what else has been happening... oh! I treated myself to an hour of reiki and shiatsu massage a couple of weeks ago. It was divine in every sense of the word. I didn't really go for any particular reason, mostly just to get balanced and kinda do a spring cleaning of my energies. I definitely felt much more balanced afterwards. It was like I was 100% me. That kind of complete self-awareness and peaceful confidence you might get at times when you were younger. I just felt so... me. I have been trying to maintain that feeling of serenity within in the wake of all the stress at work, and changes going on in my life (e.g. getting ready to move. I just want to move already and be done with it!) and so far, so good.

- I joined a gym in the OC and I finally get to start taking hip hop classes on the weekends. my goal is to go to the gym every morning before work and start getting in shape for august. seriously. although, I am happy to say that I fit into all my "emergency" (read: when you shrink back to pre-japan size you can wear them) pants AND I can fit into a pair of hilarious "capri" pants I bought this summer. "Fit", as opposed to "carefully and artfully stuff bum into". wow, that's a lot of quotation marks. Point being, yoga is reshaping my body and that's a good thing. However, much is left to be desired in the cardio dept. That's where the gym comes in. I think it will also make me feel very university-esque, something that I miss as of late.

- the spring weather has lifted my spirits, and increased my motivation for life. I feel such a sense of rebirth. I can handle the challenges of life with ease! The strength and confidence I seek is already within me! Ok, that was cheesy. But maybe I feel cheesy. or maybe I don't feel cheesy at all, but just say that to stop people from reading this and thinking "whoa, what a dork!" even though do I really care what people think? oh the beauty of having a blog to record my inner monologue!!

- point forming is fun! I hope it makes for good reading. will add more later.

Good god I am DYING for Matsuya... Tonite: exercise willpower.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home