AVENTURES AU JAPON

Surrealism Abroad and the Art of Wormhole Maintenance

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Wow, how did it get to be October 14th already?!

I think that’s like one of my most frequently used phrases. I have my lengthy 3-week vacation coming up in exactly one month!! I don’t think I’ve posted anything pertaining to that on my website but I’m planning a short return to the native land to visit all the family and friends who lives have, no doubt, irrevocably changed in my absence. Well, probably not, but let me just use some big words in there. I was originally going to visit one of my best mates, Louise, in Australia during this time, but then after much consideration I decided that I simply MUST see my nephew before he’s a year old!! I can’t wait! I’m going to see my sister, and Corey, and their kind of new son, Colton, out in Nelson, BC. After that I’m making a couple of (expensive... damn domestic rates!) pit stops in Thunder Bay, and Toronto to see all my mates whom I’ve direly missed, including my Muffin who I hope can make it out to TO during my stay there. Then it’s back to Tokyo, and trekking myself halfway across the island to Okayama. I’ma chill for a coupla days, and then head to Osaka to meet up with Michelle, Chima, and my old Manager for a company trip to USJ (Universal Studios Japan) for two days. I’m thrilled to see them again.

Did I tell you that Michelle is ENGAGED??! If I didn’t, let me just state that, well, she’s engaged! and her ring is enormous! she’s planning on getting hitched in June, and hopefully if things work out, I will be able to take some time off to fly to Guam for the celebration.

My first week at the office was awesome, considering the fact I was sitting at a desk, looking at a computer screen, and under the fluorescent lights which have be shown in studies to increase blood pressure, as well as hyperactivity in kids. it was really fun to do other things than teach, and it was great to be around adults and have the chance to speak regular English. with any luck I will regain my English speaking skills!! this job is really cool, there’s so many new and different things that have to get done each day, so it’s a good challenge.

so far I’ve been catching the Ankle Express each day, and I’m considering not buying a bike, though I prolly will because of the sheer convenience of it all. but I’m proud to say I’ve been walking to and fro work every day and on my lunch break which is racking up the minutes quickly. it’s about a nice 10-minute walk from my appt. I feel like my mate, Darcy, who used to walk everywhere in Thunder Bay before she got a car. I always admired her for that. personally I find walking as a mode of transport rather tiring, like running errands on the weekends just exhausts me!

on the intellectual front, I can’t say I’ve cracked any Japanese text of any sort since I moved here. but I do have the green flag to go ahead and re-start my Nutritional Counselling diploma course, which is so stunningly fascinating to me. I think just the act of reading about health makes me feel like myself again, the anti-hydrogenated oils- anti-bakery- anti-ice cream-me that somehow went on vacation when I came here last year. but I’m starting to feel much healthier here. I’ve been keeping up with the running in the mornings. there’s just something about the crisp morning air that makes me feel so alive as I run past the hordes of school kids and salary men on their bicycles heading off to a day of studying or office work. I’m also happy to report that my appt has given me a new lust for life, and I’ve been writing more postcards and letters than I ever have before so keep your orbs peeled for new mail arriving soon!

Oh my god this is the longest leaving-the-office chat ever right now! ok... ok now that no one knows what's going on right now... I'm out... but I'll try to update the links and the posts on this sometime soon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home