I love vegables
I've never felt that what I was doing was ever more important than who I was doing it with. I'm sure I could sit in a windowless white room with most of my friends and be completely entertained.
Last night I refrained from drinking. Imagine that. My latest thing to save money and shed kilos is to limit myself to drinking only once a week, and no more than... 7 drinks. i was to say 5, but I'm sure I delude myself with far too many other things. so, seven drinks.
I've also regained my raging affinity for vegetables. I feel so good when I'm not eating crap. I made some delicious nori (seaweed) wraps today with mushrooms, eggplant, carrots, and wakame inside, sprinkled with parsley, basil, and oregano, my three spice friends in the kitchen. For a while I've been depressed that I can't find bread that I can eat here, until I discovered a small wonder called the lettuce burger at MosBurger. Envision this-- a fast food joint selling a mustard chicken burger, but replacing the bun with leaves of curly lettuce. Yes, a disaster to eat if you don't love getting your food all over your hands (which I do, the reason why I don't have a whole set of utensils at my place, just copious amounts of spoons). But inspiring. So now I'm starting to make lettuce wraps and nori sheets wraps, and the whole new twist on things has made me happy to cook again. I'm also trying to cook more soups.I think the weather has a lot to do with my rediscovery of the joys of cooking. I just need to eat things that contain a lot of water. it's SO hot here. and I will say that every day until it is no longer october.
Today I went on another massive bike ride into the heart of Tokyo. Once there, I thought, "Why the hell am i here, again?!" Too many people! At least it's easy to bike on the streets. But it was fiercely hot and I booked it back to the cooler outskirts and sat on a rock by a river and read. rock river reading rock river reading rock river reading. hmmm.... I am truly enjoying Champers, my mountain biking machine of glory.
Gordon moved to Tokyo today!! Gordon is a trainer, and we worked together for two months in Ichinomiya when he was still a teacher and I was ET'ing. Ichinomiya is in central Japan, just outside Nagoya. Anyways, I"m so stoked that he's here because he is just so much fun to hang out with. One of the things I like so much about him is that he's not afraid to be silly. And some of the things that we do in life in Japan, are filed under the "Japan Only" category. For example, would I ever collect characters of a cartoon and line up all their plastic ball heads on my cubicle divider back in Canada? Would I ever feel as completely normal and mature having lil cutesy frog characters hanging off my bags and purses, like I do here? And would i EVER wear hot pink threaded with gold legwarmers in Canada? Those are three reasons why I love trabel. uh, travel. In moments of hilarity, I have noticed that I have unconsciously replaced v's for b's in my vocabulary (e.g. video = bideo), and switched up my r's and l's, in a way only the Japanese do. It's priceless when it happens cuz we all share a laugh over the quirky influence Japan has on us at times, but I also find it worrying. is the English part of my brain turning to mush??
gotta go study. I'm on a nutrition kick that I should take advantage of!
Last night I refrained from drinking. Imagine that. My latest thing to save money and shed kilos is to limit myself to drinking only once a week, and no more than... 7 drinks. i was to say 5, but I'm sure I delude myself with far too many other things. so, seven drinks.
I've also regained my raging affinity for vegetables. I feel so good when I'm not eating crap. I made some delicious nori (seaweed) wraps today with mushrooms, eggplant, carrots, and wakame inside, sprinkled with parsley, basil, and oregano, my three spice friends in the kitchen. For a while I've been depressed that I can't find bread that I can eat here, until I discovered a small wonder called the lettuce burger at MosBurger. Envision this-- a fast food joint selling a mustard chicken burger, but replacing the bun with leaves of curly lettuce. Yes, a disaster to eat if you don't love getting your food all over your hands (which I do, the reason why I don't have a whole set of utensils at my place, just copious amounts of spoons). But inspiring. So now I'm starting to make lettuce wraps and nori sheets wraps, and the whole new twist on things has made me happy to cook again. I'm also trying to cook more soups.I think the weather has a lot to do with my rediscovery of the joys of cooking. I just need to eat things that contain a lot of water. it's SO hot here. and I will say that every day until it is no longer october.
Today I went on another massive bike ride into the heart of Tokyo. Once there, I thought, "Why the hell am i here, again?!" Too many people! At least it's easy to bike on the streets. But it was fiercely hot and I booked it back to the cooler outskirts and sat on a rock by a river and read. rock river reading rock river reading rock river reading. hmmm.... I am truly enjoying Champers, my mountain biking machine of glory.
Gordon moved to Tokyo today!! Gordon is a trainer, and we worked together for two months in Ichinomiya when he was still a teacher and I was ET'ing. Ichinomiya is in central Japan, just outside Nagoya. Anyways, I"m so stoked that he's here because he is just so much fun to hang out with. One of the things I like so much about him is that he's not afraid to be silly. And some of the things that we do in life in Japan, are filed under the "Japan Only" category. For example, would I ever collect characters of a cartoon and line up all their plastic ball heads on my cubicle divider back in Canada? Would I ever feel as completely normal and mature having lil cutesy frog characters hanging off my bags and purses, like I do here? And would i EVER wear hot pink threaded with gold legwarmers in Canada? Those are three reasons why I love trabel. uh, travel. In moments of hilarity, I have noticed that I have unconsciously replaced v's for b's in my vocabulary (e.g. video = bideo), and switched up my r's and l's, in a way only the Japanese do. It's priceless when it happens cuz we all share a laugh over the quirky influence Japan has on us at times, but I also find it worrying. is the English part of my brain turning to mush??
gotta go study. I'm on a nutrition kick that I should take advantage of!
































0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home