AVENTURES AU JAPON

Surrealism Abroad and the Art of Wormhole Maintenance

Sunday, August 07, 2005

KK

I made it to KK! After spending the afternoon in sweaty hot Johor Bahru, being oogled by guys, wandering aimlessly and people watching, and catching a bus out to the airport, where i narrowly missed my flight, i am HERE! I forgot how much oogling goes on in Malaysia. I've never felt this attractive before, no one looks at me in Japan. Or if they do, it's that creepy "ugh, foreigner" stare. Anyways, I am glad to be in the slight backwaters and out of any major city. Though I must admit, i felt a twinge of loneliness and a strange homeless homesickness when I touched down. The flight was only a couple of hours and I promptly passed out once on board. It's a free for all in the plane- no assigned seating. I chose a window seat and got to see the lights of the island as we descended. not that there were many. i don't know what I was hoping for, and maybe it was that quiet lack of lights that mirrored my heart as i looked down that made me a little wistful for a travelling companion. or maybe it was that fishhead curry i ate earlier that had prolly been out in the heat for hours prior.
the hostel i'm staying at is.. well... i'll be glad to get to cleaner quarters that's for sure. i saw a rat in the bathroom. and i'm telling myself it's a friendly one, maybe even a magical rat like in that book... oh what's the name of it? the one where they're rats but actually witches... it always made me nauseous to read. at any rate, it's still a nice place. i'm sharing a room with 2 women from Austria who are volunteering at the hospital here for three weeks. they've been travelling on their weekends to some of the places i want to check out. i figure if i don't meet up with Jen, then maybe I will head out east to check out the orang-utan rehab center. but tomorrow is definitely maxing and relaxing on the beach for me. i just want to do nothing in the sun all day! well i only have three minutes left on this internet so i'm booking it... i'm off to find water and toilet paper- what hostel doesn't have TP? I mean, honestly!
p.s. today's peculiar moment; As i passed through malaysian customs this afternoon after crossing the causeway from singapore, the customs official asked me if i was here on vacation. i said yes, that i was on a holiday. then he asked me if i was on my honeymoon. uh, what? yes, have you met my fiance, he's translucent in the sunshine... weird.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home