Curses to the rotation of the Earth... (oh wait, I'm putting a positive thing on anything that annoys me this year.) Abundance of Opportunities Given by the Earth's Rotation
Although jet lag travelling west is far less pronounced than jet lag travelling east, i'm still out of sorts. last night i fell asleep at 12, work up at 2, was up until 5, and then had nightmares until 8. tonite i fell asleep at 9, woke up at 1am, and have been up ever since. it's now 4am... *sigh* so here's some randomness from my mind at this point in time, after i have just spent hours mindlessly googling things on the internet and reading other people's blogs. but i did find something interesting out. or rather, confirmed an interesting thought i had.
I have decided to do a monthly vitamin C flush, and thought there would be no better time to do it than on a full moon. Healing.about.com says it bestn (and lacking the brain function I usually possess during normal waking hours, I shall exercise my powers of C&P (that's cut and paste, mom.):
New moon ceremonies having to do with creation, manifestation, birth, and rebirth. The full moon is at the other end of circle as it completes the cycle, it symbolizes the end chapter. This is the time of the month that rituals are done in releasing or purging the things in our lives that no longer serve us such as addictions to food, drugs, or sex, relinguishing suffering involved in hurtful relationships, discharging physical and emotional pains, etc.
If you were too lazy to click on the vitamin C flush link above (and I don't blame you), a C flush is basically to flood your cells and tissues with vitamin C to activate your body's own deoxifying mechanisms, and to help heal the immune system. It lasts for about two days and involves simply finding how much C your body can tolerate (ie. before diarrhea hits), and then taking that dose every hour or couple of hours. I've always wanted to start cleansing on a regular basis, and this is one of the most simple and easy cleanses I have come across in my studies. All you need is clean water and buffered powdered C, both of which I have at my disposal.
So ANYWAYS, this got me thinking that the dates of the full moon must be different depending where you are on the world, since Japan is 14 hours (DST) ahead of Thunder Bay. Which, in fact, turns out to be true, and that the calendar that I bought when I was back home gives the full moon dates for North America. iiiinteresting. So, i found the lunar dates for Japan and adjusted my calendar accordingly. Most of the dates were okay, but about 1/3 of them needed to be readjusted with a pretty arched arrow dipping into the next calendar day.
I am aware that this could be total common sense and I am the present day embodiment of the early man who just discovers something really obvious like that circles roll and squares don't, but i thought i would share my new information anyway. because chances are, if i didn't know this, there's at least one other person out there who didn't either. yet, the chances of him/her actually reading this blog is pretty slim. lucky for me, i've been known to hold on to faint hopes before...
Post-partum blues? Try post-vacation blues.
today was my first day back to work and despite being the only native speaker in the office (there's 3 native english speaking trainers, and 3 japanese trainers) and having so much fun with Tamami, Rie, and Yukiko, i found myself sliding into the depths of post vacation blues. it's always a shock on the system when you squash your bodily rhythms to conform to a 10 hour workday. this whole "three meals a day" byproduct of the industrial revolution is a bunch of crap quite frankly. human bodies are not designed to eat three times a day, and are only tricked into believing they are because it is convenient to have one break in the workday. i'm a grazer, i need to eat every couple of hours. and in all fairness I could, but there's something called guilt that sneaks up on you when you are the only one in the office having a piece of fruit and everyone else is working.
Even though it's my first day back, i'm already almost feeling despair but have decided just to make the best of the time i have left. It's not about changing your circumstances, but your attitude towards those circumstances. And I think by changing the way you see things is really empowering because you have singlehandedly contributed to making your life less stressful and more rewarding. i mean, my job isn't really that bad at all. i enjoy the company of my co-workers, i believe my efforts aren't as demoralizing as most corporations and are actually contributing to the greater good here in J-land, and the opportunity to live and work abroad is wild. but, i do feel trapped. i can't believe i have been doing this for nearly 2.5 years. i am trying to think of the last time i've done something that long... well ok, there was university.. and elementary school... and sports... and I know that my dad is probably thinking "Just think, Danielle, by this fall you'll have worked abroad for 3 years in a foreign country. That's really special. You're going to be a hot item on the North American job market. You know, three years is just a blip on the radar." (c'mon, how accurate is that, dad? ;-) ) but i promised me that i would change my attitude towards things this year to get the absolute most out of things (even though I already am a really positive person, or so I'm told by those who don't see the inner working of my mind, which is pretty much everyone except, you know, them. *flashforward 17 years to me wearing a handcrafted tin foil hat to keep out brainscanners*). i guess i'm just going to have to find ways to challenge myself at work so i don't find it so boring. and so i look at the computer screen less.
Orbs Aflame in Tokeytown
Between the fire in my eyes and the straw on my head, how am I not on fire right now?
Relief is within my grasp if a way existed to pop my eyeballs out of their sockets and plop them into two tall glasses of cool water. and technically, it is possible to remove your own eyeballs but ewwww ok that is just nasty. what i'm trying to get at is that the air quality of Tokyo has denigrated my eyes into two burning orbs in my head, resulting in the generous use of eye lubricants on an hourly basis. maybe i just need sleep. but i'm sure it's the air quality and how dry it is with the heat always on that makes my eyes so unbearable to wear.
it's so bad that i haven't even worn my contacts since i've been back (which has been a whopping two days). but i'm not gonna lie, i kinda like this "bookish" look i have going on with the glasses and my hair pulled to the side in a low side ponytail. when you look the part, it's so much easier to get into work mode. plus I'm feeling in a particularly geeky period right now (not a bad thing, I am absolutely revelling in reading and learning.). and i have decided to scrap all pipe dreams of getting hair extensions or a perm at least for a couple months. for those of you that don't know, which is probably everyone but my sister to whom i have consistently bitched about this, my hair texture is not entirely dissimilar to that of straw. i've been loading up on the conditioner and trying this fructus fortifying deep conditioner 3 minute mask which has made my hair considerably softer but still has a long way to go in the look of health. so i'm just not going to fry it more by chemically treating it but try to be nice to it and also do some hot oil treatments. it seems in the wake of being unhealthy in japan i have forgotten to pamper myself. hmmm, i think this is the first reason i've discovered why i love being a female!
NY Resolutions
I said I might write about them, and since this entry falls under the "insomniatic ramblings" category, i'll add some sense to it. but only for a paragraph or two.... ok I lied... after daydreaming and editing this it's 4:56am... i have GOT to get to sleep.
Let's hope the nightmares subside.
Although jet lag travelling west is far less pronounced than jet lag travelling east, i'm still out of sorts. last night i fell asleep at 12, work up at 2, was up until 5, and then had nightmares until 8. tonite i fell asleep at 9, woke up at 1am, and have been up ever since. it's now 4am... *sigh* so here's some randomness from my mind at this point in time, after i have just spent hours mindlessly googling things on the internet and reading other people's blogs. but i did find something interesting out. or rather, confirmed an interesting thought i had.
I have decided to do a monthly vitamin C flush, and thought there would be no better time to do it than on a full moon. Healing.about.com says it bestn (and lacking the brain function I usually possess during normal waking hours, I shall exercise my powers of C&P (that's cut and paste, mom.):
New moon ceremonies having to do with creation, manifestation, birth, and rebirth. The full moon is at the other end of circle as it completes the cycle, it symbolizes the end chapter. This is the time of the month that rituals are done in releasing or purging the things in our lives that no longer serve us such as addictions to food, drugs, or sex, relinguishing suffering involved in hurtful relationships, discharging physical and emotional pains, etc.
If you were too lazy to click on the vitamin C flush link above (and I don't blame you), a C flush is basically to flood your cells and tissues with vitamin C to activate your body's own deoxifying mechanisms, and to help heal the immune system. It lasts for about two days and involves simply finding how much C your body can tolerate (ie. before diarrhea hits), and then taking that dose every hour or couple of hours. I've always wanted to start cleansing on a regular basis, and this is one of the most simple and easy cleanses I have come across in my studies. All you need is clean water and buffered powdered C, both of which I have at my disposal.
So ANYWAYS, this got me thinking that the dates of the full moon must be different depending where you are on the world, since Japan is 14 hours (DST) ahead of Thunder Bay. Which, in fact, turns out to be true, and that the calendar that I bought when I was back home gives the full moon dates for North America. iiiinteresting. So, i found the lunar dates for Japan and adjusted my calendar accordingly. Most of the dates were okay, but about 1/3 of them needed to be readjusted with a pretty arched arrow dipping into the next calendar day.
I am aware that this could be total common sense and I am the present day embodiment of the early man who just discovers something really obvious like that circles roll and squares don't, but i thought i would share my new information anyway. because chances are, if i didn't know this, there's at least one other person out there who didn't either. yet, the chances of him/her actually reading this blog is pretty slim. lucky for me, i've been known to hold on to faint hopes before...
Post-partum blues? Try post-vacation blues.
today was my first day back to work and despite being the only native speaker in the office (there's 3 native english speaking trainers, and 3 japanese trainers) and having so much fun with Tamami, Rie, and Yukiko, i found myself sliding into the depths of post vacation blues. it's always a shock on the system when you squash your bodily rhythms to conform to a 10 hour workday. this whole "three meals a day" byproduct of the industrial revolution is a bunch of crap quite frankly. human bodies are not designed to eat three times a day, and are only tricked into believing they are because it is convenient to have one break in the workday. i'm a grazer, i need to eat every couple of hours. and in all fairness I could, but there's something called guilt that sneaks up on you when you are the only one in the office having a piece of fruit and everyone else is working.
Even though it's my first day back, i'm already almost feeling despair but have decided just to make the best of the time i have left. It's not about changing your circumstances, but your attitude towards those circumstances. And I think by changing the way you see things is really empowering because you have singlehandedly contributed to making your life less stressful and more rewarding. i mean, my job isn't really that bad at all. i enjoy the company of my co-workers, i believe my efforts aren't as demoralizing as most corporations and are actually contributing to the greater good here in J-land, and the opportunity to live and work abroad is wild. but, i do feel trapped. i can't believe i have been doing this for nearly 2.5 years. i am trying to think of the last time i've done something that long... well ok, there was university.. and elementary school... and sports... and I know that my dad is probably thinking "Just think, Danielle, by this fall you'll have worked abroad for 3 years in a foreign country. That's really special. You're going to be a hot item on the North American job market. You know, three years is just a blip on the radar." (c'mon, how accurate is that, dad? ;-) ) but i promised me that i would change my attitude towards things this year to get the absolute most out of things (even though I already am a really positive person, or so I'm told by those who don't see the inner working of my mind, which is pretty much everyone except, you know, them. *flashforward 17 years to me wearing a handcrafted tin foil hat to keep out brainscanners*). i guess i'm just going to have to find ways to challenge myself at work so i don't find it so boring. and so i look at the computer screen less.
Orbs Aflame in Tokeytown
Between the fire in my eyes and the straw on my head, how am I not on fire right now?
Relief is within my grasp if a way existed to pop my eyeballs out of their sockets and plop them into two tall glasses of cool water. and technically, it is possible to remove your own eyeballs but ewwww ok that is just nasty. what i'm trying to get at is that the air quality of Tokyo has denigrated my eyes into two burning orbs in my head, resulting in the generous use of eye lubricants on an hourly basis. maybe i just need sleep. but i'm sure it's the air quality and how dry it is with the heat always on that makes my eyes so unbearable to wear.
it's so bad that i haven't even worn my contacts since i've been back (which has been a whopping two days). but i'm not gonna lie, i kinda like this "bookish" look i have going on with the glasses and my hair pulled to the side in a low side ponytail. when you look the part, it's so much easier to get into work mode. plus I'm feeling in a particularly geeky period right now (not a bad thing, I am absolutely revelling in reading and learning.). and i have decided to scrap all pipe dreams of getting hair extensions or a perm at least for a couple months. for those of you that don't know, which is probably everyone but my sister to whom i have consistently bitched about this, my hair texture is not entirely dissimilar to that of straw. i've been loading up on the conditioner and trying this fructus fortifying deep conditioner 3 minute mask which has made my hair considerably softer but still has a long way to go in the look of health. so i'm just not going to fry it more by chemically treating it but try to be nice to it and also do some hot oil treatments. it seems in the wake of being unhealthy in japan i have forgotten to pamper myself. hmmm, i think this is the first reason i've discovered why i love being a female!
NY Resolutions
I said I might write about them, and since this entry falls under the "insomniatic ramblings" category, i'll add some sense to it. but only for a paragraph or two.... ok I lied... after daydreaming and editing this it's 4:56am... i have GOT to get to sleep.
Let's hope the nightmares subside.
































0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home