AVENTURES AU JAPON

Surrealism Abroad and the Art of Wormhole Maintenance

Monday, January 16, 2006

I Love the Weekends!!!

Did I ever mention how awesome life is when you have two days back to back off? I could definitely get used to this feeling. Especially if it were to happen every week. It's Tuesday, and ordinarily I would be at work right now but I decided, "screw this BS, my life is about my free time, not working for some corporation, I'm not going in today!" .... yea right. That's what I wish I decided. In actual truth, I worked on Sunday and took today off in lieu of working that day. Work was fun, and went by quickly. It was just Mandy and I, and 6 teachers- a pretty intimate atmosphere which made it easy to present the material and evoke discussion. Afterwards, I went for my usual walk around the mental hospital, and then picked up a movie to watch as I had an ironing fete planned. I calculated (ie. just counted my shirts) that since I have 15 different work shirts (not included sweaters) that if I iron them all at once, I won't have to be subjected to that drudgery on a daily basis. And let me tell you how much better I now feel! I rented American Pie 3 because I needed a movie that wasn't too deep, something that I could just put on and do other things while watching it. Now, either that movie was really stupid, or I have been in Japan too long and am used to a different level of respect. I mean, there was sooo much cursing, and just stupid, immature jokes and predicaments that the characters found themselves in. Ok, I can't believe I'm attempting to analyze such a would-be waste of my time (save for the fact it served its purpose to a T). I guess I'm just past those kind of stupid movies.

Yesterday, Monday, was fun except for when I broke my favorite piece of pottery, but that was a minor incident. I woke up and hit the ground running, as I was almost late to get to my dr.'s appt. This means I did some mad speed-walking/jogging to the train station, and then let myself stand on the train feeling like I was dripping in sweat, trying to drink water and think cold thoughts to calm myself and my body temp down. I eventually made it no problem, and the dr. appt went well. Afterwards, my intent was to find a family restaurant with a drink bar (unlimited herbal teas!) and sit down and write in my journal. but, I got majorly sidetracked and ended up going on a huge walk around the area to explore the neat little shops. I found a really cool soap/bath products/towels store made from all organic products, and some cute gelaterias (which may or may not be a name i just made up for places that sell gelato, the italian ice cream/sorbet).

I also checked out a place in Hiro-o, called National Azabu.

Oh. my. STARS!!!!

It was like I walked through a wormhole into North America. It was honestly exactly like being back in a North American grocery store. I know for those of you who live in N/A you're probably thinking big whoop, but to those who have lived in Japan, you know what a gem something like this truly is. There was no entire aisle devoted to soy sauce. There was no green tea aisle either. What there was was things like tator tots, frozen naan, olives, beans of all different kinds, granola bars, rice krispies, muesli from Germany, celestial seasonings tea, Ayurvedic teas, applesauce, tom yum soup paste from Thailand, organic almond butter, organic tahini, dill pickles from Poland, nayonaise (soy based), Rice Dream, chocolate Silk soy milk, Dial soap, Ecover dish liquid... I seriously feel my life is complete in Japan and that I couldn't possibly feel poorly about this country again. It was like my dream come true!! I stocked up on all those things I just mentioned after granola bars. It did cost a small fortune, but the piece of mind that comes with knowing I can now have almond butter any time, or that I can now make dip for my veggies-- priceless.

Gosh, I would have made the best Mastercard commercial yesterday!

Then came the tricky part of taking three trains to get those groceries home... such is life in Tokyo.

Later in the afternoon I realized I hadn't really eaten other than those two dill pickles and a handful of the best German cereal in the world (Flakes & Fruits- I feel it should be called Fruits & Flakes because there is a veritable goldmine of dried strawberries, cherries, raspberries and apples amidst a sprinkling of flakes.). I went to my favorite Thai restaurant in Shibuya and had a spicy squid salad and set the inside of my mouth afire for the next hour. Which, didn't help my case at hot yoga that was about 30 minutes after I ate (but I learned the hard way not to go to yoga without eating all day). I was so proud of myself because this was my very first time going to yoga solo. It's all in Japanese, and I was the only foreigner. I felt so strong! I sweated out my salad, and all the toxins that I ingested over my vacation in Canada. Afterwards, my skin felt so soft and smooth. It's so refreshing!!!

...wait, did I ever tell you about hot yoga?? It's mad! I signed up with 2 of my J friends (yes, the J distinction is important to the story) at this new Pilates/yoga studio for ladies only in Shibuya, quite close to the Tobacco Wax Museum (who knew? who would want to know?). Hot yoga is, well, yoga, except that the room is like 30'C with heat lamp fans on the floor and the wall air conditioner/heater unit spewing jets of steam out. And boy do you sweat!! The next time you're in the sauna for an hour, do some stretches and then email me afterwards. We can bond over how we never knew our bodies sweat out of every single pore (shins? ankles? I mean, honestly!). I went for a trial lesson back in December with Rie and Yukiko and felt some kinda moral support going with friends. The class is all in Japanese which makes it quite interesting. But now I know how to say "inhale" and "exhale" in Japanese. And yesterday I figured out what the words "hold" "look straight ahead" and "release" sound like in Japanese. Geez, I am like a little detective in every aspect of my life. I love it so much!

I picked up a couple of postcards at the Loft (another of my fav stores in Japan- it has everything from stationary to variety gifts, bedroom furnishings to jewelry...) and made my way home. But, much to my postcard's and journal's dismay, I fell sleep immediately after making Tom Yum soup with spinach, shrimp, and shitake, and watching the second half of Face Off (Nicholas Cage, John Travolta) and an episode of CSI: Miami. And that's when I broke my pottery- it slide off the couch when I rolled over in my sleep. Breaking things just makes me realize how attached I was to a material possession in the first place, and how I need to let it go.

So now, I have the whole day ahead of me! What shall I do, what shall I do? I guess I should decide what I should have for brunch first... (Fruits & Flakes with Rice Dream! Fruits & Flakes with Rice Dream!)

New Year Resolutions
Since I have been back from my vacation, I have put a great deal of effort into living the life I want to live, and to regain my health. Previously, I slipped into a world of drinking, smoking, not exercising, being too tired at the end of the day to do anything but lie on my couch and watch TV. But I know that's not the kind of person I am. So I took the opportunity given to me by the revival in my spirit post-Canada stint to really make some lifestyle changes. I have committed myself to these changes for the next three months, after which point I am treating myself to something really awesome, like a day at a spa, or a massage/acupuncture session. Read onward marching soldier, to peek into my new life!

The three areas I've decided to focus on can all be clumped under the umbrella of Health (physical, mental, spiritual, emotional): diet, exercise, stress management.

Exercise
Every morning, I get up at 7am so I don't hit the ground running, which is what I used to do and which sucks because you feel so stressed inside and don't have any time to ground yourself for the day. I have an hour to myself, usually to tidy up my place, or write a couple emails. Then I go fo a 30 minute walk around the nearby mental hospital (that's how big it is- a full walk around the perimeter is 30 minutes!), and then come home for stretches, and various exercises for the abs and butt (which I am happy to say have been paying off and now my jeans are fitting differently-- I started these back in November). After work, three times a week, I get my butt kicked by the Crunch Pilates Cardio workout, or work exclusively on Pilates with my Intermediate Mat Workout. I can't even explain how much better I already feel about myself from exercising. The endorphin rush of getting your blood pumping, toxins excreting, and muscles challenged have definitely gotten me hooked on working out in a good way.

Diet
And by diet, I mean the way I eat, not actually restricting things, because that is just a recipe for disaster. My goal here is to make lifestyle changes that I can stick with, rather than look for a quick fix. This is also proving to be a good exercise for my patience and perseverance. So, I have been cooking all my meals since I have returned! Except for when I'm eating out which isn't as often as it was last year.

For brekkie I'll have something filling like cereal or oatmeal (there's the Canadian in me! I could eat oatmeal for every single meal) always with a piece of fruit. For lunch and dinner, I try to incorporate protein (salmon, tuna, beans, chicken) with a carb (wheat-free noodles, basmati rice, or glutinous rice) and a side of vegetables (steamed, grilled, stir-fried, raw). I've been taking pictures of my creations because I'm just so proud of myself! This is huge progress considering the side of my kitchen counter (ie. sink, cutting space, one burner) is only a metre in length. My mom would have a fit trying to live in this appt!! I've made things like grilled salmon with fresh pineapple salsa; basmati rice with marinated tofu and sprouts, grilled tofu salad with tomatoes, sprouts, spinach, and peas; kimchi and rice with a hardboiled egg; and onion, peppers, peas, and mushroom stir-fry. At work I've done away with all the snacking on chocolate and cookies, and have fruit when I'm hungry. I also made my own trail mix with cranberries, raisins, walnuts, almonds, cashews, and banana chips. Am I making you hungry yet??

The best part about incorporating more vegetables into my diet, and eating fresh, healthy foods, is that I'm actually less hungry! This is because I'm giving my body all the nutrients it requires, so it's not wanting to find any lost nutrient in another food (This explains why you can eat a heap of junk food, but then be hungry 20 minutes later.). I also have a lot more energy when I'm eating right, which plays into my motivation to exercise as well. I've almost lost all my vacation weight, but weight isn't really a big issue for me anymore. Well, not as big as it used to be. (But then again, what teenager hasn't been consumed by the "ideals" created by a society that praises the thin and shuns the overweight?) I'm pretty average when it comes to weight, not thin, not fat. Just in the middle. I figure my body will just adjust to the weight that's the most comfortable for itself to carry out its own functions. And I'm not going to argue with nature, or let society make me feel inadequate by constantly bombarding me with stick-thin girls who are far taller and way far less then myself. That's been one of the most positive things living outside of N/A- I'm out of that media-induced nightmare. In fact, I don't even think about things like that over here.

Although I don't really believe in multivitamins right now (but that may change, I just haven't had the chance to do a lot of research on them yet), I am taking vitamin C (1250mg x 3x/day), B complex (50 mg/day), calcium at night for a restful sleep, cranberry (1/day), and milk thistle, which aids in the production of substances that help to detoxify your liver (with my past habits and the level of air pollution here, I need all the help I can get!).

Stress Management
I feel so sheepish at times admitting how stressed I can get over my job. It's not like it's rocket science. It's not even fair that rocket scientists are the only ones who get credit for having stressful jobs. I mean, being the leader of a country is stressful. Sure, some leaders lack the ability to actually lead, but that's probably because they feel so overwhelmed and stressed out about how many things they have to keep track of. Either that, or the leader is George Bush, in which case, the man is just simply inadequately equipped with the proper quantity of brain cells. But I digress! It's stressful, but I think one's level of stress is subjective and a reflection of that person's ability to deal with stress in a constructive way.

Eating right and exercising have proved to be strong outlets for me, as well as the simple fact that I'm actually taking charge of my life here and making positive changes. That act in itself is empowering and gives me confidence in my abilities. I've been working hard to take a step back in a way, and evaluate the way I approach things. I'm trying to see things differently, to help me understand why people respond the way they do to things/events/crisis/words/actions/etc. By working to see the positive in each situation, I've been less frustrated at work, and have been able to work more easily to creating projects or certain markers that will help ease things in the future. So that's that, I hate talking about work (only because I don't like listening when other people drone on about their jobs. I feel most of us don't do jobs that define us as people and as such, I'm more interested in other facets of other people's lives. Wow, this is probably why I am extremely uncomfortable when people ask me what I do and expect a job title response...)

This week I'm pluggin meditation into my wellness equation (oh my god I am SUCH a geek!). I'm going to aim for 10 minutes in the morning. It was nearly a year ago that I started meditating and I remember how effective it was for not only stress, but also feeling "one with the universe" if I could be so cheesy to use that phrase. It was actually really cool/creepy how in tune I became with everything; like when you're thinking of someone and then the phone rings and it's him/her? or wanting to purchase X and then a week later going somewhere unexpectedly and seeing it? All those little experiences start to happen, and suddenly I feel like I'm floating effortlessly along the river of life, not getting jacked up on some current that sweeps me to the bank and tears up my clothes and pushes me back on course, and then I try to swim back upstream to get that shred of cloth that was snagged on branch overlooking the bank... It's just a whole lot easier, that's all.

So those are basically my NY resolutions: regain my health by making healthy food choices, avoiding my food allergies, taking vitamins, exercising, changing my outlook to a more positive one, and meditating. AND, keeping in touch more!!! So far, so good.

And now that I have written all this out, it's extra motivation for me to succeed! I will definitely keep you updated on how I'm doing. I can be a little pet experiment! If anyone has any suggestions or tips or things that have worked for them, please let me know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home