AVENTURES AU JAPON

Surrealism Abroad and the Art of Wormhole Maintenance

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Who Knew I Could Bend Like That?

Who Knew I Could Bend Like That?

Power style yoga sure lived up to its name tonite. I am, as they say, too pooped to pop. I signed up for two more classes next week because it was a killer workout. The instructor speaks pretty fast so I struggled in the beginning, but eventually I just learned to think as fast as she was talking. I feel like I'm getting the double bonus of exercising my body and my mind simultaneously. Taking a class is definitely an awesome way to learn another language. Tonite I learned the word for 'knee.' Who knows when I'll have the chance to talk about knees in daily conversation, but should the opportunity arise, I am fully confident to engage in such a conversation.

The more I meditate and the more I do yoga, the more I am able to detach myself from every day stresses. I feel like there's a huge shift going on inside me.

Dream Analysis 101

I asked my subconscious to help me figure out my dreams, and it presented me with a classic theme last night.

I'll jump right into the middle of the dream:

I'm at my appt getting ready to go out to the beach. I'm with the usual gang of dreamers that are present in the dreams seeped in yellow, brown, and grey hues, complete with an uncanny sense of foreboding. Anyways, after brushing my teeth I went into my living room to join the others. I started to cough. You know when you cough, but then you really have to cough, like there's a really chunky piece of phelgm in your throat that you know has to come out? (Don't call me gross! I know this has happened to you before.) Well, I felt that sensation in my throat, so I started to cough harder, and more deeply, to dislodge whatever it was that was in there.

Suddenly, it comes back up in my throat and I spit/vomit on the floor. It was some kind of red-yellow gob. I kept coughing and more and more little pieces of this came out. I was like, Oh, looks like we have to go to the hospital instead. My mom told me if I ever cough up blood then it's something reall serious. (Go mom! Even in my dreams...)

Then a thought struck me.
Is it really blood?

I looked more carefully. It was a yellow insect with a large blood-filled abdomen.

There was a man on my right who was kneeling on the floor next to me just looking at what I produced, but not saying anything. I bent down to look more closely. I noticed this thing that at first, repulsed me, was actually like a ladybug, with cute little black spots on it back and yellow decorations.

I shifted again to look at it from another view. I could see tiny little red butterfly wings on its back. Oh, how pretty! I thought. It was the most unique insect I had ever seen and it filled me with such a sense of curious wonder.

The End.

Initially I was terrified of coughing too hard when I woke up and for a good 30 minutes into my day, but after I got over myself, I realized the dream is just a reflection of what's happening in my life right now.

During times of introspection (like my self-imposed lack of social life at present) or meditation, emotions/feelings/spiritual sludge gets brought to the surface of your consciousness and you find yourself facing the same demons that maybe have plagued you your whole life. Working through them and seeing them in a different perspective allows you to let go of your past, and rather than dwell on your mistakes or feel embarrassed of how you acted in certain situations, you learn to accept those things are part of your past, a process which you had to go through to make you the person you are today (Whew! Run-on or what?). And when you see them for their worth and the lesson they have taught you, you're able to make peace with those things and suddenly they don't bother you anymore. And you can move on from the chains of the past, and make new mistakes instead of the old ones over again and again.

That's kinda what I feel is happening to me right now. It always happens when I try to lead a more spiritual life.

So to me, the coughing represents this emotional purging, and what it's bringing up is initially terrifying and repulsive, but upon closer inspection (bending down in the dream, shifting my head to look closer at the wings) I realize my experiences are unique to me and have all played a part in shaping the person I am today. Even the bad experiences. Probably even more so those experiences because they've tested me and shown strengths of my character that wouldn't have had a chance to show themselves otherwise. And all together, getting them out in the open and confronting things I don't like in myself, I'm able to create a beautiful and unique thing, something that's never been seen before in this universe (I guess that's what each and every one of us is, eh?). I think the man in my dream is probably my spritual guide in one of his forms. It's nice to have someone/some spiritual boy point you in the right direction and give you the nudges you need along the path.

It's so fun to analyze your own dreams!! It makes the waking life much easier.

Sleep is calling... I promise to think about how I can make a difference in the world's inequalities before I nod off, in repentance of last night and this afternoon's guacamole bonanza.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home